Thursday 28 June 2007

More exercise type stuff

I've just noted that in my last blog I blithely promised that I would do lots more cycling 'at least twice a week'. Aha. Ahahaha.

Well, my excuse is that my bike lives at Al's house because I have no garden or tenement hall and Rossie Place is populated by the sort of scum who break into my friends' cars and would therefore think nothing of removing the wheels, seat and any other recognisable bit of an untended bike.

So instead I went to aquarobics on Monday, as usual. I've been a few times now and the instructor said hello to us when we arrived, so I think I can say 'as usual'. We got to use a whole new sort of float that buckles up around your tummy to keep you bobbing around in deep water whilst performing what must to the observer appear to be a series of short epileptic fits. I was quite taken with the floats, which allowed me into the deep end where those of shorter stature generally do not venture during aquarobics for fear of going under during a particularly energetic spasm. But the long dangly end of the strap did keep getting in the way - the thing was clearly designed to be big enough to strap around a baby elephant in need of floatation support.

I remarked to Morag that extra lift was a bit like having boobs around your waist, before realising that I wasn't really qualified to comment as I barely have boobs even in the normal places. Morag and Hilary had a long conversation about where to purchase swimwear with the adequate level of support while I wondered silently if Speedo did a padded version.

Tuesday saw me on my first run for many moons, or many weeks anyway. I was joined by Jo - Lee having sadly but luckily not permanently hurt her knee - on the Water of Leith. Technically next to the Water of Leith, in fact, as we followed it from the Shore to Stockbridge (where we gazed through the window of the closed bike shop coveting new helmets). I was going at Jo's pace, which was a pleasant jog for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I did fear that I was 'doing a Colin' on her by chatting away while she strove to keep up. My knee kicked in but only at the very end, within sight of home, so that was good too.

Hopefully a surf tonight will provide some more exercise type stuff. Does cleaning the flat yesterday count?

2 comments:

Fiona Lochhead said...

Lee hurt her knee on the Water of Leith? How hard is that water?

Ruth said...

No, she hurt her knee, having cycled 31 miles from Dunfermline to Leith without incident, on the way home from Ocean Terminal. Slippy cobbles you see. I blame the Council.