Monday 24 September 2007

Shall we dance?

Al and I went to our first swing dance class last week. He came and met me on the Grassmarket because he was too scared to go in on his own, the big wuss. It was hilarious as we started out with a Charleston-based dance that involved us flinging our arms in the air and remembering lots of complicated steps. I am not very good at dancing. But it was interesting to hear how swing had evolved - at one point the instructor even pointed out some Michael Jackson moves that had originated in the Charleston.

We did a partner dance after that, which frustrated Al as he had to learn to move his feet correctly instead of just spinning me randomly all over the place. Finally, the instructors gave us a quick demo at the end which inspired us all as they looked much cooler than I felt. They even did lifts!

One of the guys (there were four blokes to seven women, excluding Ray who was ill) recognised me and turned out to be a St Andrian who was in orchestra with me. A musical connection, of course. I'm quite looking forward to going to some social swing dances when I know a bit more.

On other exercise-related news (or at least an outdoor activity), we went paint balling for Barry's 30th birthday. This was good fun, though we had to share the games with about 40 other people. Still, once we had donned camouflage and helmets we all looked the same anyway. I escaped without major bruises but the midges did for me proper. I'm covered in itchy itchy bites on my hands and face. Little bastards - if I could have seen them I would have shot them. As it was, I don't know if I shot anyone, though I did at least get a few rounds off in more or less the right direction.

Sunday I could have gone mountain biking with Al and pals but elected to stay in bed instead. For some reason they were going at 8.30 on a Sunday morning - utter madness. I eventually got up and wandered home to watch the rugby (boo) and try out designs for my new surf board (yay). I'm thinking of getting it sprayed with a copy of my celtic knot tattoo.

Now then: running. I haven't done any for ages, this being my 'resting' time of year. But I'm thinking of starting up again maybe from late October. Work has at least calmed down enough for me to contemplate the idea. If I can't get a surf in after work this week then a little run can do no harm.

No comments: