Saturday 31 May 2008

Done and dusted

Yep, it's all over. I got a bad cold just in time for the marathon, and it also effected my stomach (as almost everything seems to do since I got food poisoning about 3 months ago. I fear my days of cast-iron stomach are gone forever) so I was fairly sure there was no point going for a PB. Marathon day dawning with a strong headwind further convinced me and I decided to run alongside Al, to have someone to chat to and prevent him hailing a cab half way round.

Good job he was there as despite a solid start that had us on track for 4.30, about 10 miles in my stomach ceased playing ball and the rest of the run was spent making it from one loo to another. Saw some pretty bits of East Lothian from behind various bushes, though, which was nice...Al was very supportive when I was feeling shit (more from frustration at knowing how much training was going to waste) and strangely at the points where I was feeling better he was also struck down, so we made it round together. Luckily it turned into a lovely sunny day, and if you ignored the sweaty people around you, you could pretend it was just a nice coastal walk. At least the roads were closed to traffic, unlike the North Berwick run when I kept thinking I was about to be squished by a lorry.

The other thing that got me round (apart from Al) was the truly top level support from the crew. Time and again they drag themselves up at ridiculously early hours of the weekend to shout and wave at us for a few vital seconds. Fi also had her bike which meant she could keep a flagging Al's energy up with food supplies and distract us from our pain with chat. One good thing about going so slowly was that I could actually enjoy her company instead of saving all energy for forward propulsion. Another was that I wasn't stiff afterwards. Other than an amusing patch of sunburn on the one bit I had missed when applied sunblock I was in better shape than after any marathon yet.

Haven't actually checked my final time yet, but it was about 5.16. Hang on...Yep, 5.15.54 for both me and Al. Although obviously I still have the better PB of the two of us...

This was in fact a personal worst, which is something I suppose! Definitely giving myself next year off and maybe the year after that. The next race I'm thinking about is next year's Alloa half marathon. Catherine and Danny gave me a subscription to Runner's World magazine so that's been inspiring me. But only from my rocking chair so far.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying not having too much planned for a bit. I poked some plants in the garden today and pulled up some dock leaves. Think I might buy a trowel and some gloves and clear at least the patch that might once have been a flower bed. Surf looks ok too.

Much more exciting is the news of an additional to the family! No - not like that. A canine one. Al and I went to see a working cocker spaniel in nearby Braco and have arranged to pick him up on Monday! He's gorgeous, five months old and black and white. Apparently working cockers are the same breed as show cockers but a different strain, with a broader head, soft mouth, and easy-to-train temperament. This guy is called Diesel at the moment, which is a terrible name for him. It might suit a staffie or rottweiler but he's far too friendly. He'll be a surprise for Cal come Tuesday evening though, so it's up to Cal to christen him. So excited!

3 comments:

Fiona Lochhead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiona Lochhead said...

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH!!!

SAM said...

Oh soooo exciting. Although I now have that infamous stomach curse. :-( xx