Thursday 19 June 2008

Where all my money goes

Today all my money was supposed to go on curtains, but instead it has gone on something even less exciting: contact lenses and glasses. Every two or three years I walk into an optician and spend half a month's wages on being able to see. Surely this isn't fair? Do deaf people have to pay for hearing aids? I suspect, like glasses, you can get the horrible cheap ones on the NHS if you're poor enough but have to shell out for anything half way decent.

Luckily my optician has cottoned on to the massive rip off that is eye care in the UK and set up a scheme where you pay £3 a month and get 20% off contacts, glasses and that contact lens bit of the sight test not covered for free (non-Scottish readers, note that regular eye tests are free up here! Yes, free I tell you! Not that you'd know from listening to the BBC). So I signed up for that and claimed my £13 from the NHS for being really, really blind. They don't give me an extra £13 for last year though, even though I didn't buy any lenses in 2007.

Even with all the discounts it still came to £400. Most of that, as always, was on the lenses to go in the glasses. I chose a plastic option that was slightly cheaper but they might be too thick, in which case I'll have to have glass for an extra £50. I could have got loads of curtains for that.

Afterwards, I took that black dress back to TKs and swapped it for a log basket. I may have to wear the log basket if I keep spending money on boring things. But at least I can accessorise it with beautiful glasses.*

I haven't done any exercise since the last blog, and have eaten vast amounts of chocolate buttons and fingers of fudge. I'm in Edinburgh tonight though, and once I'd thrown everything visibly mouldy out of Al's fridge there was only a pitta bread and some organic vegetable soup left, so I ate that and felt a bit healthier. I think it's time to get back to my usual summer eating of veggies and salad. Unfortunately, despite its many other fine attributes, the cottage is absolutely freezing in even the warmest weather, which doesn't encourage me to eat lettuce and the like.

Fi and Ailsa are coming for dinner tomorrow though and I'm quite excited about the dessert (which I have already made and left in the freezer - I hope it turns out ok) and a starter recipe I found for sweet potato, mozzarella and parma ham stacks. It will also be a chance for Dougal to meet his cousins Baffie and Bridie, who will probably at best ignore him.

*I have to admit they are nice glasses, with a hint of sexy secretary about them.

No comments: