Thursday 26 April 2007

Poorly knees

It's poorly knees all round. Al has been for an ultrasound of his knee and discovered that a torn ligament will not only put him out of the marathon but probably also the Rat Race as well. He is not a happy bunny.

And I've had the worst week's training ever: after completing my 20 miles in 3 hours 10 minutes, as per schedule, on Monday, I've been really sore. Not only the old, left knee is hurting but now my right has decided to join in and to recruit my thigh for yet more fun. I'm a day behind my schedule so skipped a rest day on Tuesday to try and fit in 5 miles, including 3 miles at a 'brisk' pace. I managed the warm up and 1 mile brick before having to give up and jog/hobble the rest of the way.

Yesterday was no better, with speedwork in the gym. I was supposed to do three sessions of 10 minutes fast but only managed one and a half. A faster pace really puts pressure on my knees when I land. I can see in the mirror at the gym that my right leg is still swinging inwards with every step, even when wearing my orthotics. I hope they are just taking some getting used to and that my legs will sort themselves out in a few more sessions, but it had better be soon because I don't have much time left.

I did have a good short session last week. I went down to Bicester to watch my dad do a charity skydive for Amnesty (you can see his site here) and set out from the Travelodge next to the motorway with little hope of finding somewhere pleasant to run. But with a little nifty running across slips roads and climbing over a hedge I discovered the gorgeous National Trust wood, complete with well-maintained wood chip paths and covered in bluebells. If only all runs could be just three miles long and in such pretty surroundings!

2 comments:

albere said...

Hmmm not good. Please stop developing sympathetic "old man" ailments and get yourself better and round the Marathon. Leave that to me!

Fiona Lochhead said...

Poor you. But you got round! And now I feel guilty about calling you a knock-kneed freak on my blog (but it was in a self-deprecating context, honest). My triathlon training is meant to start tomorrow, but I just played a 3 1/2 hr tennis match and have to play a friend tomorrow as well, so I may just put it off until Wednesday. Boo.
Fisher and I agree that you and Al should come up some weekend, for fine food, wine, and some active stuff as well. How do you feel about going to Elie and doing watersports? It looked fun.