Tuesday 17 April 2007

Summer running

It felt like summer for much of last week, even though it's only April. Blue skies and warm weather make running outside instead of in the gym a must. I'm still suffering a little with a cold, so used it as an excuse to keep up my milage but ditch all that nasty speedwork stuff. As a result, I spent a pleasant week plodding up, down and around Edinburgh's hills at an enjoyably slow pace.

Even so, I notched up 37 miles, finishing with a half marathon yesterday. Not a race this time but a timed run, aided by Al's GPS gadget. I was aiming for 1 hour 45 but only managed 1 hour 49, probably due to my cold and a stiff breeze off the Forth. It's amazing the difference it makes whether you are running into or away from the wind. And an article I read recently gives some insight into how marathon training can make you vulnerable to coughs and sneezes. Still, it could have been a better result so speedwork is back on the menu this week.

I did finish up yesterday's run at my friendly local physio and picked up my new orthotics. I'm to break them in slowly - no running in them for the first week - but can't wait to see if they make a difference. My knee is very sore after yesterday, maybe because I didn't strap my foot up tightly enough, so anything that can keep me on the road is welcome.

The next couple of weeks should see me reach maximum milage before my taper (hooray!), getting up to nearly 50 miles this week. This includes a 20 miler I'll have to fit in around a trip down south. I'll be packing my trainers.

No comments: