Tuesday 13 November 2007

Busy

Although I've been too busy to blog it's not because of a wealth of exercise things, unfortunately. Rather, I've been putting in the hours at work (both the day job and the freelance) and also doing lots of bitty administrative type things like chasing credit cards that don't arrive, applying for jobs and fixing surf boards.

My board is now fixed though I've still to pick it up, and I still need to chase my new board. All has gone ominously quiet on that front so I need to check my deposit arrived ok. Got an extremely windy surf in on Sunday with Rob, borrowing his long board. Spent most of the time flailing vainly in the face of six foot walls of white but when you did get out there were lots of opportunities to practise handling different angles as the soupy green waves were coming from all over. Very refreshing.

The weekend before that we were up at Holly Cottage for very convivial belated celebrations of Fi's birthday. So convivial that I pulled a muscle in my ankle and was unable to partake of cricket on the beach or a run round the hill the next day. Then on the drive home I felt ill. I blamed a combination of car sickness and gluttony but as I then spent the rest of the night being lavishly sick in Al's loo it seems I was the recipient of a dodgy sandwich at tea time. No one else suffered though, so maybe it was a stomach bug picked up from my desk neighbour at work.

Lovely.

Anyway, I recovered from the vomit thing with the aid of a day off and pints of peppermint tea. But the ankle thing is getting annoying. Every time I think it's ok I do some form of gentle exercise (aquafit, running with Morag, surfing) and it swells up again. I could rest it completely, but I'm just getting into the habit of weekly runs with Mo and don't want to break a virtuous routine for both of us. I'm not doing the extra run per week I was hoping for by now, but at least a weekly potter down to the links and back gets me used to the concept of running again.

What else? Doing a fair bit of work for WEA, who have just got an excellent inspection report, Good for them. Ooh, I bought a new skirt and top in my bi-annual clothes shopping trip. This trip was nearly a disaster as I trawled town for 6 hours without finding anything I liked, but I was saved by the East sale at the last minute. The skirt was reduced from £150 to £45!

Aquafit is getting more and more deserted. Yesterday there were only four of us. I like this because it means I get more space in my depth and we do more work at the deep end. It was a miserable walk down in the pissing rain last night though.

That's it really. Al is trying to persuade me to go on a surf holiday to Portugal. I'm stressing about Christmas and where everyone will sleep and when to get a turkey. Lots of work to do. Going to go and do it now.

2 comments:

Fiona Lochhead said...

If you're really worried about losing fitness because of your ankle, I recommend swimming, using only your arms - or arms and one leg, if you're co-ordinated enough! Swimming is definitely the only real alternative exercise that keeps your stamina up.
So sorry to hear about the barfing. What misery. There's nothing worse. No illness at this end, though, so it must have been a bug (*hastily excusing own cooking as possible source*).

SAM said...

You've been TAGGED go to:

http://runningandthinking.blogspot.com/2007/11/
tagged.html

xx