Sunday 13 April 2008

Another crap week's training...

It started out so well with an 8ish mile flat run on Monday to Tillicoultry and back - felt good and fast, though I wasn't able to measure it exactly as I'm still awaiting a new garmin charger. Followed up on Tuesday with a speed session at the gym:
  • Cross trainer 6 mins, staying above 10 mets
  • 8 and a half Yassos - felt not too hard, possibly because it is the week after my period, when training is easiest.
  • 2 x 12 reps each of 3 back grips and 2 chest grips all at 20kg
  • 1 mile at 6.5 mph
Then all went to shit. Went in to Edinburgh Wednesday night to catch up with Mo. We went to bodybalance, which was a nice stretch out (crowded class though). Mo told me she had just recovered from a nasty tummy bug, which she promptly infected me with. Either that or it was a dodgy sushi lunch pack from Tesco's.

So on Thursday I felt distinctly quesy driving home and was able to hold it together just long enough to deal with the heating engineer before retiring to bed with a bucket. Missed a beautiful evening for a run. Naturally, come daylight it appeared to have cleared up and I went to work, seeing as I had lots to do and it was the last day of a work experience student we've had in, who I had to assess. Got through the day, distracted myself briefly by hanging some curtains, and then collapsed in bed again for another vomitous night.

I'm now just about recovered, but have been walking about like a zombie all weekend and slept most of yesterday. No long run for me this weekend - I had to have a sit down after walking to the post office.

On a more cheerful note, met up with Fi and Hilary to discuss dresses and suchlike over a meal at an Italian fish restaurant that had a promisingly cosy atmosphere but disappointingly salty fish. It almost made up for it with stereotypically macho Italian waiters though. Good chat, and the girls were sympathetic about my plight. Felt slightly more human.

I am still not sure if I am justified in feeling sorry for myself at the moment, but I have been down: it feels as though neither of the two things I really wanted out of this year - a 3.45 marathon and a decent 30th birthday party - are going to be achieved. Just bad timing I suppose. It's not as if having a job or somewhere to live can really take second place to those. And most of my 'to do' list (currently standing at 39 items) no one else can do for me. Every time I finish one thing another appears: I arranged for my council tax to be taken directly from my pay, but when the bill arrived they hadn't taken off water and sewerage, even though we have a private water supply and septic, so now I have to call them again. And when I got a fridge freezer delivered the delivery guys broke a light so I had to organise an electrician, who didn't show up, so I had to organise him again...it's never ending.

I just want someone nice and reassuring (Super Nanny springs to mind) to come along and tell me it's okay, they'll sort it all out and all I have to do is go to work and concentrate on my running. Being a grown up sucks.

No comments: