Sunday 27 April 2008

Dog day

Got a run in yesterday to make up for missing Thursday's. It was post dress shopping and dog shopping, so I had lots of exciting things to think about as I trundled round the 7.2 mile route up Easter Road, round Arthur's Seat and back. Didn't time it and took it easy as I had my long run today.

Re dresses - top secret stuff (mine too I as I want it to be a surprise for Al: I have actually shown him a picture but he will have forgotten instantly so that's ok) but lovely fabrics and designs to play with. Went with a colour recommended by Fi which is not what I would normally pick but I think will be really different and quite 1920s-like.

Re dogs - Al, Cal and I went to the Edinburgh Dogs' Home for a reccy. Just to ask how it worked and what sort of dog they might recommend. Of course we then fell for one particular pooch - a wee collie cross called Shadow. Much heartrending debate later we decided to go back and see him again today, but it turns out the home is closed on Sundays so Al will have to go alone tomorrow and make the Big Decision. He was lovely - he looks like Santa's Little Helper form the Simpsons, only more black - but it's a 10 year commitment so we have to get it right.

So yesterday's run was fine. Didn't time it. Felt nauseous after getting home, showering and going to Tesco's, which was annoying. Thought I'd figured out how to stop these blood sugar drops, but I suppose a salmon wrap for lunch was not sufficient fuel. Had a oatcake and felt better almost immediately.

Today, had a very successful long run despite not looking forward to it at all. Did 20 miles in 2 hours 58 mins 31. Average of just over 8 mins 55 per mile. Which means I did 20 miles today faster than I did 19 miles last week. I think this is because:
  • I prepared better food-wise, with vast amounts of lasagna and bread the night before and no booze, and vast amounts of porridge and banana in the morning. No wonder the original Greek bloke who ran the marathon died at the end - he was probably trying to run on nothing but feta and olives. It takes oats for a job like this.
  • There was zero wind - hurrah!
  • It was a faster route, being flatter and almost all tarmac.
It was hot though. There were people sunbathing on Portobello beach in bikinis! Despite wearing sunscreen I have still gone pink on my chest and arms.

Ran out past Portobello to Musselburgh and then kept on down the coast on the John Muir Way to Port Seton/Cockenzie power plant, then came back. Although I'm happy with the run compared to last week, it's still not putting me anywhere near 3.45 league. Looks like I might have to settle for a sub four hour at best. But at least I only have one more long run (ie race) next week before the marathon. Then my life will once again be my own!

Can't wait to find out about Shadow tomorrow. Must stay calm and objective...but it's hard!

1 comment:

Fiona Lochhead said...

You better not have got that dress because I recommended it. You better have got it becase you LIKE it!! I don't want the blame if you end up looking like a frilly frump.

(As if you could.)