Wednesday 13 August 2008

Walking and running

After finally taking the decision to enter the Coll half marathon, I decided I had better do some training. Having done bugger all since the couple of three mile jogs back in June, the prospect of 13.1 miles was daunting. I decided that, with five weeks to go, I'd try and cover a hundred miles in preparation.

Then I realised that it was a week earlier than I thought and I would be away walking the West Highland Way for a week, giving me three weeks prep time. So I decided to just do what I could.

I started with a few gym sessions, finding it pathetically hard to maintain 6 mph. Shortly before leaving Dougal with my generously dog sitting parents I did a three and a half mile circuit of Gartmorn Dam, bringing my total mileage up to 23.5 miles. Then came the walk, which was not as tough as I had expected in an up and down type way but still covered a lot of ground. My muscles, I have to say, barely complained at all. But the way runs along old drovers roads, well cobbled in the time and with a severe camber, which left me with rather sore feet from the hard pounding. Worth it for the scenery though.


Altogether we covered 75 miles in five days, but I couldn't count it as training: bitter experience has taught me that walking fit is not the same as running fit. So after an all too brief reunion with my parents (and tales of naughty but cute doggy antics) it was back to work.


I did six miles round Gartmorn on Friday in 55 minutes, pausing only to challenge the ned kid who tried to trip me up to a race (he lost, but then, he was about eight and overweight). Then in a rare burst of sunshine, we headed down to Yellowcraigs beach on Sunday. While Al and mate Pete went fishing I headed off down the John Muir path. I'd last covered bits of this coastal route on a long training run pre-marathon, taking it from Leith to Cockenzie and back. I now picked it up at Yellowcraigs and ran the four miles in to North Berwick and out the other side and back, making it eight miles. Was pretty pleased with this, my longest run so far, and with a few small hills to keep my interest. Also lots of gorgeous houses overlooking the golf course to the sea. Mostly tarmac, but some grass, a patch of woodland and lots and lots of boggy sections. The path skirts the golf course, which was closed due to flooding, and cuts across a ploughed field, at which point I cursed the fact that I only had my road trainers with me - they are just about dry now, three days later.


Hormones got the better of me for the beginning of this week, meaning I spent Monday night curled up in front of the tv and yesterday, by a supreme effort, managed just 5.5 miles on the treadmill. I'd been hoping for at least 6, but it was not to be. I did, however, complete a few minute bursts at 7 mph. Today I took Dougal with me on a 3.5 mile loop round Dollar. It was my first run with him and he loved it. Still very muddy out, though less so now that we have returned with most of the mud adhering to one or other of us. I let him off the lead on the off road stretches and kept him on in between - my running was faster with him on the lead because he was pulling forward at such a rate!


So now up to a total of 46.5 miles with nine days to go. Hopefully I can make it up to 70 or so, which should be respectable. As long as I get a 10-11 miler in at some point I'm happy to run the half knowing I should get round in one piece.

No comments: