Tuesday 2 October 2007

Aquafit

Just a quick catch up before I head off up to the wilds of Aberdeenshire (or somewhere) for three days. Went to aquafit yesterday - God it's good for me to have people to go with. Halfway through the afternoon I got a tentative email from Mo asking if I was still planning on going to the class, to which I replied with much more gusto than I felt. Truth is, I was secretly hoping everyone else would pull out and I'd have an excuse to collapse on the sofa instead. It turns out she was thinking exactly the same thing but luckily our mutual refusal to be the first to drop out meant that we both got there. And once we were in the water it was the usual fun, though, and I was glad I'd made the effort, even though lots of new people took up the middle ground, leaving me with a choice of floundering in deep water or not getting enough resistance in the shallow end. I wish they would organise the class by height or something.

The thing about aquafit, I've decided, is that you get out what you put in: you can make it harder by speeding up or increasing resistance, or just coast along (which would be a bit of a waste of time, but I swear the woman in front of me yesterday barely moved all class). It's never going to be a full on, high energy workout, but it probably burns more calories than Bodybalance and is a good stretch out too. It was great to feel the ache in my arms after two days' surfing. Also, I got to show off my bruises and Morag was obligingly admiring of the one behind my knee.

Packed last night for my little trip: including swimming, hiking and running gear. I'm taking my trail running shoes as Al mentioned a hill he had run up - gulp! I haven't run at all for three months and certainly not 'up' anything. Maybe I'll just hit the spa.

No comments: