Wednesday 17 October 2007

Ballater 2

Rob replied about my running. He said of the reasons I've given for hill running, he said B and E were good reasons and the rest minor justifications. He also suggested pyramid sessions, which is food for thought. Have I actually managed to go running again since Ballater? Of course not, but I did take my running kit on a lovely weekend trip away. It likes to get out and about.

Back to Ballater. After our run we watched a film, and then headed out looking for a suitable walk. We drove around a fair bit before coming across a perfect walker's car park at what I think was Invercauld estate. There were several walks marked and we chose the shortest, which was four miles (again, I think - it's all so long ago now...). There were a few sign posts along the way with interesting facts about the landscape, an abandoned lime kiln and a pretty summerhouse overlooking the big house and hills beyond. here, the gorgeous autumnal view was spoilt only by noise from the road. The valley seems to act as an amplifier so that you could hear every engine, which was a shame. But there were no other walkers and we completed the circuit in splendid isolation. Al took lots of pictures.

We fancied dinner out so took the van in to Ballater to the Green Inn. Post Three Chimneys, this was my second encounter with a 'restaurant with rooms'. Not expecting it to be busy on a Thursday in October, we hadn't booked. A mistake as it was full, but luckily there had been a cancellation so we got a table. The decor was a bit like being in someone's living room - lots of terracotta wallpaper and china figurines. But the food was fantastic. I had bouillabaisse and venison. Could have done with a few more veggies with the venison, but the meat was perfect. A highlight was the pre-starter mushroom cappuccino, and the desserts were also good. I ordered the fig tart more for the accompanying brown sugar ice cream than the tart itself but was pleasantly surprised.

We walked home, being responsible sorts, which left us to walk back in the next morning to get the van and head for a nearby riding stables in Glen Tanner. The weather forecast had been terrible so we'd planned a day in the lodge and spa, but having woken up to bright sunshine, an outdoor activity seemed called for. So I'd called up the stables and spoken to a jolly posh woman who assured us that it was a jolly lovely day for a ride.

Al had been once before, on which occasion his brother-in-law fell off, and was assigned the same horse: Bob. Most stables have a big, slow horse for adult learners and Bob was that horse. I was worried I'd end up on a pony as usual, but instead got a great little piebald called Felix, about 15 hands. It was just the two of us and the instructor, and he kindly took us on a slightly different route so that I could canter ahead. Before long poor Felix was gasping as we cantered up the steep hill, no doubt feeling much as I had during my run the day before. But he was game and keen to go again after a short rest. We even jumped some of the bigger drainage channels across the track, and Al got a short canter too. Great stuff.

We wandered round Ballater afterwards. Al had expressed a desire for toad in the hole with onion gravy and mushy peas, so I bought the ingredients and made what the packet assured me was the equivalent of 12 small Yorkshire puddings worth. By the time I'd cooked it all I didn't feel much like eating it, but luckily Al did.

Only then did we realise that we had less than an hour till the pool and spa closed - we were leaving at 7 the next morning and we hadn't had a swim. I dragged Al along and we had the pool to ourselves for a 20 minute swim. He tried to persuade me that the pre-sauna shower was nice and warm but I am not stupid and avoided its freezing spray.

Then we cleaned up, went to bed and got up at 6 to be back in Edinburgh for a school open day. It was Morag's party that night, and it was lovely to catch up with everyone and to feel like I'd been away and still had a weekend to play with. Bliss.

No comments: