Thursday 8 March 2007

First hurdle

Hello and welcome to my running blog. I promised my sponsors and supporters that I'd keep them entertained in return for the cash they pledged to Amnesty International, but rather than send lengthy emails I thought you'd prefer a blog which you can read as much - or as little! - of as you wish.

So I'm training to run the Edinburgh Marathon on 27 (checks date in diary...), yes 27 May. Less than 12 weeks to go! And the first hurdle referred to in the title is a nagging injury.

Boring injury section:

Two weeks ago I developed a pain down the outside of my left knee while on my long run. I'd had a similar thing two years ago while training for Prague, diagnosed by the sports scientists at the college I then worked at as iliotibial band syndrome. It's a referred pain from the thigh, caused by over-use: very common in runners ramping up their mileage for a marathon. It cleared up with a bit of rest that time. But now it's back with a vengeance.

After a week of very gentle running I tried another 14 mile run last week. Not to be: the pain began just four miles in and I ended up jogging most of the way and walking the last two miles. Why, how amused and heartened I was by the helpful characters who urged me to pick up the pace as I limped into Easter Road.

So to the doctor. He prodded my knee and asked if it hurt. He then shrugged and told me I needed physio. And with that my notes were tossed into a teetering heap in the corner marked 'urgent physio appointments, 2009' and I exited sharpish.

The upshot of which is that I have changed my training strategy slightly. Instead of running three times during the week and a long run at weekends, I'm training more often but for shorter periods. I'm also doing proper warm ups and stretching - those of you who have witnessed my lackadaisical approach to these activities in the past may as well have your last laugh now. I've been to BodyBalance (a yoga, pilates and tai chi class) more often, as that really seems to help.

Hopefully this will avoid irritating my knee. The downside is that I'm in the gym or on the run every day. It's extremely frustrating not to be able to push my limits, especially as I'm not used to having any problems. My body has always done what I told it before! And Al has actually started training, so he's hot on my heels.

I will at least be able to include sprints in the new schedule. And Al has promised to ask a physio friend if he can fit me in. So I'll keep you posted on how I work up to my the Alloa half marathon, now only 10 days away. Amusing photos may well result.

In the meantime, visit my fundraising site to see how close I am to my target.

No comments: