Monday 9 July 2007

Bonding experiences

Went to Morag, Rob and Rachel's James Bond themed barbecue on Saturday. Their last before they all go their separate ways. I'm excited to see Morag and Ray's new place, but there's no denying it's the end of an era at Brunton Terrace. Soon there will be strange people living there. Pah.

An excellent barbie, of course, with tasty kebabs and swing music and much dressing up. Guests at Brunton Terrace parties always go all out on the fancy dress front! Hils dropped by before leaving early to do interview prep, but Barry stayed and was on good form, having had a week to recover since the end of term. Al turned up late after the usual work crisis, but was impressed, he later said, by the fact that a barbecue which officially started at 5.30 was still going strong at midnight.

He still had work to go when I'd collapsed into bed at 2 - he was up till 5, I think. I eventually woke up to find him lying next to me wearing nothing but an old fleece he'd given me - obviously having gotten cold and sought something that would fit! Mmm...furry.

I had to rush off the next day for a Cheese Board bonding experience of our own: a pilgrimage to the newly-opened Cheese Bar in Glasgow. This proved worth the trip and we lived up to our 'ladies who lunch' aspirations with champagne and fondue of both the cheesy and the chocolaty variety. Now if only they could open a branch in Edinburgh. Preferably on our street.

Wine at lunch time and the hottest train outside of India made me sleepy on the way home but the walk back from the station revived me and, as it was a lovely evening, I suggested a walk on the beach to Al to get him away from the computer. We had a pleasant stroll along Portobello and discovered some bits of it we'd never seen before, since we usually just run along the front. We discovered it also had a 'back' of little lanes, leafy parks and posh houses. Al had fish and chips but I was still recovering from the exertions of lunch so got baked potato with....you guessed it, cheese. The irony didn't even occur to me until later.

We did some people watching: groups of teenagers on the beach (actually playing football and the like, not drinking Buckfast), couples and dog walkers. One old bloke was shuffling slowly down the promenade with two sticks while his two dogs wandered on ahead and then patiently stopped and waited for him. One of the dogs came up to say hello to us - it was funny, he so obviously just though 'Ah, I'll talk to these people while I'm waiting', came up and sat down in front of us to have his ears stroked. Although you have to wonder at that British mentality that meant I could talk to the dog but not the old guy himself.

No comments: