Tuesday 24 July 2007

Results

Just to say, the official results are out. We came a fairly inglorious 133rd out of 183 teams, or 9th out of 13 all-female teams. Something to better next year, anyway! Can't find any photos of our team, though there were lots of photographers around the course. So if anyone comes across some, do let me know. We were team number 172 and had big yellow feathers on our bags. I was wearing a pink cycling helmet.

Spent a quiet week relaxing and not being sure what to do with myself now that I have nothing to train for. There was no surf and plenty of rain. Went out to dinner on Saturday at Daniel's in Leith, which I'd been meaning to go to for ages. Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment. I choose poorly from the menu (on the grounds that I could make tartiflette myself at home) and ended up with a cassoulet so salty that I was gulping water and couldn't finish it. A shame as the meat itself was beautifully cooked. Luckily Al was there to polish it off. And then my floating island was clearly cut from a big block and spongy with gelatin. Not really worth £40 a head.

More interesting was the film we went to see beforehand, 'Shut Up and Sing'. This was a documentary about country rock band the Dixie Chicks and the reaction in the States after they spoke out about the war in Iraq. The Chicks came over very well: intelligent, articulate and with great eye make-up. It also gave an insight into what life in a band is like and the sort of business decisions they had to make.

Had a good stretch out at aquafit yesterday with a new French instructor (or at least, she sounded French) which was good for the arms as we did lots of work wearing big webbed gloves to increase resistance in the water. If the weather holds tonight I'm hoping to persuade Hilary to walk up Arthur's Seat with me - we've done no training for Skye since the Pentlands walk weeks ago.

No comments: