Tuesday 11 December 2007

Busy weekend

Got out for my surf on Saturday having just had my hair highlighted. This led to amusing conversations as the hairdresser and then the girl drying my hair kept asking how I wanted it dried, or straightened, or what products to use, to all of which the answer was 'It doesn't matter because it's going to be in the north sea in an hour'.

So. Biggish swell for Belhaven, but light winds as promised until mid afternoon when they picked up and it all got a bit choppy. Took me a while to figure out how to work the new board - how far back I need to lie to paddle effectively and how easily you can get the nose under an oncoming wave. Once out the back I could barely sit up on it and at one point fell of with a yelp which Al found hilarious. Although it's only 6 inches shorter, the pointy nose means there's much less volume at the front. Anyway, figured it out eventually - I need to lie about an arm's length plus an inch back and it paddles lovely. Got up on some smaller waves and it was SO quick and turned really fast - felt like the difference between driving my car with and without the 'city' steering on!

Headed back for Al to go into town for a birthday cup of tea with pals and I did some work, including sending WEA an invoice that should nicely cover my car's MOT. Glanced out of the window and it was snowing! Soon went back to rain though. Then into town to meet Al and friends who had been round Mary King's Close. They said it was good but because there were young children in the party they didn't get the scary 'lights out' bit. Jo said that was just as well because she was scared enough as it was.

Had a drink before heading to Ana Purna's for veggie Indian food. Rob and Rachel came along, which was nice, and they mingled happily (I hope) with random friends of Jo's. Rachel bought Al a cap and bow tie to accessorise his swing dance!

Finally left the last pub and decided to walk till we found a taxi - ended up walking all the way home and getting in at 2.30 am. Then up again the next day for swing dance rehearsal. I hadn't realised how nervous Al was of performing on stage: I assumed that since he happily throws himself off mountains and waves and so on that a two and a half minute performance would be a doddle but apparently not. Now I feel guilty for persuading him. But it went fine and there was nobody he knew there! I think we all looked the part: the girls all wore dresses or skirts and the guys went suited up: Ray and Rob had trilbys (trilbies?) and Al wore his cap. And at the very least we had to be more entertaining that the adult interpretative dance troupe who just walked around looking morose for five minutes. We had Christmassy music and everything! I'm going with some of the class to the dance company's Christmas do on Saturday. Hopefully Al can come but his sister may be arriving from Australia.

Yesterday: straight to the gym from work. It was really busy but managed:
  • 2 x 10 reps at 15 kg on the chest thingy
  • 3 x 12 reps at 27.5 kg on the pull down
  • 3 x 10 reps at 15 kg on the fly thingy
  • something else on the shoulder press.

Honestly, I am so bad at remembering weights I do. Next time I am taking a pen and paper with me. I think the shoulder press at the Leith gym is more difficult than the one at work, though why that should be I do not know.

Also did 2km on the treadmill, 2% incline at 10kmph, thinking hard about where I put my goofy feet. Then wanted to do the bike but it was busy so did 10 mins on the cross trainer: 6 minutes at level 9 with 2 minutes of level 8 either side, keeping above 10kmph.

Then aquafit, where Inge had returned and asked us what Bill had made us do. We whinged suitably ('He made us go in the deep end...without floats!'). I think she was inspired, or maybe I was just concentrating on working at the right level, keeping my heels down and posture straight, but it was a harder class than usual. Not as hard as last week though.

Tired now. Running with Mo tomorrow and should do something at the weekend too: maybe Arthur's Seat if the weather's nice.

No comments: