Monday 18 February 2008

Newcastle trip

Did my long run as planned on Friday night, with Matt gamely agreeing to come and defend me from muggers. Though frankly I don't think he would have been much use towards the end when he stopped chatting and started to look a bit peaky. The furthest he'd ever run before was 10km, so the step up to 11 miles was a big ask! However, he finished strongly and we agreed to run together again the Friday before our next duathlon. We also completed the flatish course (Easter Road, Willobrae Road, park, Meadows, Queen Street, Easter Road) in 1 hour 35: very respectable.

Then off to Newcastle for Helen's early birthday present - a surprise trip to the X Factor concert! It was a really nice break after a frantic few weeks as we chilled out on the train, kept Helen guessing till the last minute and were suitably entertained. Some of the singers were quite good, though not, sadly, Leon the actual winner. The songs were mostly old favourites though, which got the party going.

I was also completely won over by Newcastle. In the bright clear sunshine it seemed lovely, only an hour and a half from Edinburgh, with great shops! I was very excited by my first visit to Primark and got a great winter coat for £10 and a dress for £12 - though since Jenny has told me they were made in Chinese sweat shops I have decided to donate an equal amount to charity to assuage my guilt...A star find came on Sunday morning when Hilary remembered a nice area from an episode of Location, Location, Location and we went there on the metro and found a lovely place for brunch.

Unfortunately I couldn't continue the chilling out on our return as I had to give the flat a final clean - its new tenants will have moved in tonight. I hope they like it and take good care of it - it was quite emotional shutting the door for the last time. Was supposed to run as well but it was nearly 8 by the time I was done so I went to the gym after work today instead. This was last week's belated hill session:
  • 6 mins cross trainer, level 11, staying above 10 mets
  • 25 mins treadmill at 6.5 mph
  • 10 mins bike, hills
  • 1 x 12 reps chest press at 15kg and 3 x 12 at 20kg
  • 35 mins treadmill, cross country 1 setting (inclines up to 8%), at 5.9 mph
  • 2 x 12 reps each of all three settings on back machine at 20kg
Felt like I wasn't pushing it much. Will set the hills up another 0.5% on the inclines next week I think. Although I was probably fresh as a result of two days off and energised by a multitude of mini M&S flapjacks.

No comments: