Wednesday 13 February 2008

Slowly improving...

Yes, slowly getting there. Went back to Runfinder and worked out the weekend long run was actually 10.8 miles, so 1 hour 40 mins feels more respectable. Nearly 9 minute miling it.

Gym yesterday, did:
  • 6 mins cross trainer level 11, staying above 10 mets
  • 45 mins treadmill at 6.5 mph
  • 2 x 12 reps chest press at 15kg and 1 x12 at 20kg
  • 2 x 12 each of biceps, triceps and latimus dorsi (finally remembered to check what it was), all at 15kg except the last biceps, which was 20kg
  • 10 mins bike, hills
  • 15 mins treadmill at 6.5 mph
Then today did:
  • 6 mins step machine (was in the girlie gym and the only cross trainer is always busy), 5.5 floors per min
  • 4 x 0.5 mile in 3 min 45 sec, with 0.15 mile walking in between (at 4mph)
  • 1 x 0.25 mile in half time
  • 2 x 12 reps pull down at 30kg, 1 x 12 at 35kg
  • 3 x 12 reps tricep push down at 25kg
  • 1 mile treadmill at 6.5 mph
  • 10 mins step machine at 5.5 floors per min
Have to do my long run tomorrow after work as I'm away over the weekend so can't fit it in otherwise. I'm trying to work out an 11 mile route round Edinburgh that I can do after dark - surprisingly difficult, and it looks as though I'll have to either brave Windy Gap or stick to really boring, busy, fume-filled roads. I think I'll take the Gap and just hope potential muggers and rapists can't run very fast. There's only a short stretch that's mildly scary. Maybe I can get Matt to come with me. Or actually, I could go down Seafield Road to Portobello. That's only two thirds on boring roads, and Porty is quite nice early evening. Although it will be Friday. So it may be full of drunken chavs. Oh, I don't know. I wish it would hurry up and get light.

That leaves one more run - my hill session - to fit in. I had told myself I'd get up at 8 on Saturday to do it before leaving but I think it's more realistic to leave it till Sunday night and go to Meadowbank.

Anyway, the jeans are getting looser and there is starting to be a difference when I look in the mirror. I swear blokes find it easier to put on muscle. Al barely has to walk down the road and back to turn into a lean, mean, running machine. I've been training consistently for nearly two months and have just got to the stage where the barest glimpse of stomach muscle can be seen emerging from the flab. Hey ho.

1 comment:

Fiona Lochhead said...

It's the testosterone what does it. I was in the gym the other day, watching a scrawny bloke on the chest press ... doing it on 18! I nearly killed him with my bare hands.
Still - testosterone also makes 'em bald. Ha ha. I'd rather be slightly weaker than lose my hair.